summer news... and a special announcement

Hello !


Things have been a little busier than usual at The Rice Ranch ~ more on why in a moment, but first ...



It's officially summer !!!!




Temps have been in the 80's and 90's here the past few weeks, and not one word of complaint has been heard from anyone around me. Having a/c in our house for the first time since we moved to Oregon twenty years ago has helped ! It was unthinkable in Arizona for a house to have no air conditioning, and I'm pretty sure it ran about ten months of the year. Here we really only need it sporadically throughout the summer, but it REALLY does make a difference on weeks like these, where 92 is the norm.

While I have been enjoying the nice cool temps inside the house, my kids have been taking full advantage of the beautiful weather outside : swimming, playing basketball, eating popsicles, bike riding, going to the river to play, you-name-it. They are rarely indoors, and I'm enjoying little breaks of quiet (an extremely rare occurrence in house full of eleven people !) while they are gone.

someone else enjoying a little alone time with her baby :)


Our backyard garden is flourishing with all this sun - tomatoes, potatoes, cilantro, bell peppers, cucumbers, broccoli, chile peppers, zuchinni, and all kinds of lettuces are all in various stages of growth. We are sooo excited to enjoy the fruits of our  Caleb's labors in our evening meals this summer. I've seen dozens of drooling deer eyeing our fresh produce through the sturdy fence we fortified this year ... if you overhear Hayden yelling "Mama throw ROCKS at the deer !" I promise it's just his vivid imagination.





lilies in our backard pond !!


While the older kids scatter in a hundred directions throughout the day, Hayden and Lily are keeping me entertained at home with their daily antics and contagious giggles. These two are so inseparable lately - always finding trouble to get into together, chasing each other from room to room, or whipping up imaginary feasts in their play kitchen. Hayden still hasn't mastered the concept of using kitchen utensils when preparing his culinary masterpieces, but he serves a fabulous "noodles-topped-with-a-baseball" nonetheless.







In other news : I transformed our bedroom balcony into a little garden sanctuary ... what was once just an ordinary wooden deck off our room, is now our own private little space for reading or sipping tea or just lounging in the beautiful Oregon sunshine. Just a few simple additions of flower pots, hanging baskets and garden lights, and I have a new favorite spot - and I'm wondering why I never used this space before !


helping mommy pick out flowers for her patio project


I've spent so many relaxed mornings and quiet cool evenings up there, just listening to the birds singing, enjoying the fresh scents of summer, and gazing at the nighttime stars. Everyone should have their own little quiet space to retreat to, don't you agree ?





So now, my written excuse for my absence of late.

Some other new developments have been going on at The Rice Ranch as well ...

baby fox lovey by The Hill on Etsy and sweet fox crib shoes by A.N.D. on Etsy as well





We are thrilled beyond belief to announce that a new little Rice baby will be joining our family early next February :)




Sam and I were able to see our little blueberry on ultrasound this week (I am seven weeks pregnant) .... I don't know that there's a more beautiful sound to my ears than that of a strong and steady baby's heartbeat.

I promise to share more details about this newest little blessing in the days ahead- for now I will say that he/she is extremely prayed for and planned for and hoped for - and at 47 years old, I know exactly what kind of miracle we have received. I'm in the throes of morning sickness and sheer exhaustion - thus my need for cool indoors temps and quiet little hideaways when hormones and nausea hit hard. But I am so so grateful for this amazing little person growing inside of me ... so much happiness here, it's hard to put into words.

"Behold, children are a gift from the Lord .. happy is the man who has his quiver full of them  !"


Until next blogpost ...




Happy happy summer :)

xoxo

Popular Posts